Teaching and research activities of the Institute constitute two interrelated fields of activity which reinforce each other in their development. The studies which are published by employees of the Institute are used by students for learning purposes. Classes for students and the educational requirements in the field of international relations stimulate further research.
The research activities carried out at the Institute of International Relations refer to the long-lasting tradition of this discipline, whose academic status became fully recognized at American universities after the Second World War. Fundamental research displaying ambitions of theoretical formulation was accompanied by the development of research into functional areas of international relations.
In recent years, the Institute has organized many events of international importance, conferences and seminars, the Middle East conference, conference Global management in the global economy or seminar South China Sea Arbitration and Great Power Politic.
We also organized many lectures of foreign guests: Ambassador Daniel Fried (Atlantic Council), Siegfried O. Wolf (South Asia Institute, University of Heidelberg), Scott A. Harris (President of Lockheed Martin Global Inc. for Continental Europe) and Prof. Barry Buzan (London School of Economics). See more about our guest lectures.
In 2017, we co-organized, among others, with the WNPiSM UW international conference on Zbigniew Brzeziński: Thought – Politics -Legacy, together with the India Embassy in Poland and the UW lecture Vice President of India – Mohammad Hamid Ansari Seven Decades of Indian Democracy, together with the Warsaw Institute Research on the Peace and Association of Veterans of UN Peacekeeping Missions, a Scientific Conference entitled Warsaw Review of UN Peacekeeping Missions and many more.
Moreover, the Institute organizes each year conferences on “Sacrum and profanum in the contemporary world” in cooperation with the Monastery in Pieniężno, and also together with the Krzysztof Skubiszewski Foundation, we organizes Symposia.
Institute is also founder of the Polish Association for International Studies. PAIS will co-organize with Institute and Standing Group on International Relations international 8th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, ‘One International Relations or Many? Multiple Worlds, Multiple crises” 18-21 September 2013.
Institute of International Relations WNPiSM UW conducts research in the field of:
- International Political Economy
- International Politics
- Diplomacy and Foreign Policy
- International Law and Institutions
- Security and Strategic Studies
- European Integration
- International relations Theory
- Culture and Multiculturalism in International Relations
- Emerging Markets
- International Business
- Africa and Latin America Studies
- India and China Studies
Journals and periodicals published by the Institute
- Stosunki Międzynarodowe – International Relations (biannual) – Head: Professor Stanisław Bieleń
- Rocznik Strategiczny – Strategic Yearbook – Head: Professor Roman Kuźniar
- Żurawia Papers – monograph series
Institute invites scholars to publish in Institute’s peer-reviews journals and periodicals. The papers could be written in English.
Selected monographs and articles published in recent years in english
The outcome of the research is published in Polish (see Publications) and also in English. Selected papers in English published by our academic staff in recent years (2013-2017):
- Jacek Czaputowicz, Anna Wojciuk, „International Relations in Poland. 25 Years After the Transition to Democracy”, Palgrave Macmillan 2017.
- Grażyna Michałowska, Hanna Schreiber, Culture(s) in International Relations, Wydawnictwo Peter Lang Verlag, New York 2017.
- Agnieszka Bieńczyk-Missala, Civilians in Contemporary Armed Conflicts: Rafał Lemkin’s Heritage, Routledge
- Agnieszka Bieńczyk-Missala, [w:] Last Lectures on the Prevention and Intervention of Genocide pod red. Samuela Tottena, Routledge 2017.
- Karina Marczuk (red.), Reconciliation – Partnership – Security: Cooperation between Poland and Germany 1991-2016, Nomos 2016.
- Maria Pasztor, Dariusz Jarosz, Polish-French Relations 1944-1989, Peter Lang gmbH 2015
- Dorota Heidrich, Klaus Bachmann (red.), The Legacy of Crimes and Crises. Transitional Justice, Domestic Change and the Role of the International Community, Peter Lang gmbH 2016. Autorkami rozdziałów zawartych w książce są m. in. Agnieszka Bieńczyk – Missala, Patrycja Grzebyk oraz współredaktorka publikacji – Dorota Heidrich.
- Patrycja Grzebyk, Marek Madej, [w:] Legitimacy and Drones. Investigating the Legality, Morality and Efficacy of UCAV pod red. Stevena Bareli, Ashgate Publishing 2015
- Jakub Zajączkowski, Marcin Florian Gawrycki, Agnieszka Bógdał-Brzezińska (red.), Re-visions and Re-Orientations: Non-European Thought in the International Relations Studies, Bloomsbury, New Delhi, London, New York, Sydney 2014;
- Jakub Zajączkowski, Siegfried O. Wolf, EU-Pakistan Relations: European Perspectives at the Turn of Twenty-First Century, (w) Siegfried O. Wolf, Paulo Casaca, Anne J. Flanagan, Catia Rodrigues (red.), The Merits of Regional Cooperation, Springer, New York, London, Heidelberg 2014;
- Karina Jędrzejowska, India and the Eurozone Sovereign Debt Crisis, (w) Rajendra K. Jain (red.), India and the European Union in a Changing World, AAKAR 2014;
- Karina Jędrzejowska, Economic Transition in Poland and India: Not So Different Story?, (w:) Vijay Sakhuja, Dinoj K. Upadhyay (red.),India-Poland Relations in the 21st Century, ICWA, PISM, New Delhi, 2014.
- Jakub Zajączkowski (red.), India in Contemporary World: Polity, Economy and International Relations, Routledge 2014
- Patrycja Grzebyk, Criminal Responsibility for the Crime of Aggression, Routledge Research in International Law 2013