Prof. Roman Kuźniar
Chairman of the Scientific Board
Section of Strategic Studies
Summer term 2018/2019
Graduated from the Faculty of Journalism and Political Science, University of Warsaw (1977). Ph.D. in Political Science (1981). D.Litt. in Political Science (1990). University of Warsaw Professor (1992). The title of Professor in Humanities (2000). Employed at the Institute of International Relations since 1977. In the years 1984-1986 Vice-Director of the Institute of International Relations. Editor-in-chief of Annals of Strategy. Director of the Diplomatic Academy (2003-2005). Director of the Polish Institute of International Affairs (2005-February 2007).
Since 1982 he has been working as a researcher and teacher at the Institute of International Relations of Warsaw University and, since 1992, has been the Head of its Security and Strategic Studies Section. He lectures on international political relations, human rights, strategic and security studies, and foreign policy of the Republic of Poland.
Since 1990 he has worked for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as the Director of the Department of Planning and Analyses (1992-1994); Minister Plenipotentiary in the Permanent Mission of Poland to the United Nations in Geneva (1994-1998); official (1998-2002) and Director (2000-2002) of the Department of Strategy and Foreign Policy Planning.
He was the Director of the Polish Institute of International Affairs since 1 June 2005 until February 2007. He specializes in international issues and Polish foreign policy. Professor Roman Kuźniar is the author of numerous books, scientific articles and features, and editor of joint publications on the contemporary history of international relations, security issues, human rights, strategic studies and Polish foreign policy. In the years 1995-2002 he was a Member of the Polish delegation to the UN Commission on Human Rights. Since 1995 he has been the editor-in-chief of Annals of Strategy and since September 2005 – the editor-in-chief of the Polish Diplomatic Review.
International security, strategic studies, human rights, Polish foreign policy, international organizations
International political relations, Human Rights, Strategic Studies, Poland’s Foreign Policy, Polish Security Policy
Poland’s security, international security. Polish foreign policy. The United Nations system – global issues, human rights, strategic studies
- International Order on the Threshold of the 21st Century (ed.), Wydawnictwa Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, Warsaw, 2005;
- Politics and Power. Strategic Studies – an Outline, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar, Warsaw, 2005;
- Polish Security Policy (ed.), Warsaw 2001;
- Human Rights. Law, Institutions, International Relations, Warsaw, 2000, 2002;
- International Relations. Genesis, Structure, Dynamics (coeditor), Warsaw 1994, 2000, 2006;
- The Road to Freedom. Foreign Policy of the Third Republic of Poland, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar, Warsaw 2008;
- My, Europa, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar, Warsaw 2013.
- Europa w porządku międzynarodowym, Warsaw 2016
- My, Europa, W-wa 2013 (WN Scholar).